My husband set me up with a grow light to help the seedlings along and to make sure I had a basement 'environment' suitable for growing.
So, I began the process by adding the starter dirt disks to the tray compartments. Since this is a self-watering system, I also had to saturate a black cloth-like mat with water and lay it in the bottom of the container tray. I then added plastic risers to the trays and set the tray with the starter disks on top of the risers. Next, I poured warm water (a little over a gallon) evenly over the dirt disks to saturate them, and waited about 5 mins for them to expand. I then popped the expanded disks down into each tray compartment with my finger to fill the spaces.
Once all were filled, I setup the 'seedling map' of the tray to document the type of seedlings in each compartment. Since I was only planting a handful of seeds to start (Dill, Cilantro, Italian Parsley, Early Bird tomatoes, and threw in some Marigold seeds for good measure), I chose to plant in tray zones (9+ compartments per seed type).
I'll be watching over these babies daily to make sure there's enough water and warmth. In a few weeks, I'll start another new tray with more veggies, and (hopefully) move the seeds that germinated to larger containers for Spring plantings.
Looking forward to positive results!