Friday, April 5, 2013

Storing Root Veggies

I went to Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, MA many years ago, and took the extended tour through the farm buildings. This was about the same time that I was beginning my venture into starting my own vegetable garden.

One area that fascinated me was the root cellar - a specific area of the farm buildings reserved for storing root veggies throughout the year. I learned the importance of having a cool dry and dark area, and the value of having a consistent cool temperature and insulation - e.g, sawdust, or sand.

I decided to try this out in my garage using a plastic storage container, and clean sand (bought at a local home supply store - usually used for a child's sand box). I took my root veggies (potatoes and onions) which were clean and dry and unwashed, and layered them loosely in the sand.


We've been using the onions, potatoes, carrots and other root veggies stored in this container on a regular basis. It has saved space in our refrigerator, and do not spoil as they did when stored in the refrigerator or on a shelf in the garage.

Great easy, inexpensive way to keep root veggies!

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment